Monday, February 18, 2013

Blah, Blah, Blah


My Dad’s uncle Bill died last Friday. If you’re reading this, I am asking you to remember Uncle Bill’s family in your prayers. He was a great man and will be sorely missed by all. It seems like wherever I look, friends and family alike are suffering through something. Loss of a loved one, sickness, unemployment… I know that this is part of life. I am just eager for life to settle down again.

I finished the first draft of WIP #3 in a month’s time. That is a record for me. Usually it takes up to three months for me to complete a first draft. This first draft is much shorter, approximately 43000 words. And I’m sure it’s crappy, as most first drafts are. Going to let it set for a couple weeks and do some research, then I’ll pick it up again and work on draft 2.
Sort of in limbo with WIP #1 and #2. WIP #1 was rejected by nearly every agent under the sun. For the heck of it I entered it into a contest for self-publishing (Crossway Books, a Division of B&H). What do you know, it is one of the 30 semi-finalists. Want to wait to hear the results from that before I do anything to WIP #2. I did query six agents about it and haven’t heard anything back. Then I stopped. Do you ever get a Still Small Voice tell you not to do something? I don’t pretend to hear God’s Voice, but for whatever reason, I feel like He is telling me not to query. And to wait for Him to provide the right agent for me. None of that makes sense to me. Logically the thing for a writer with a manuscript to do is to send it off.

“God’s foolishness is so much wiser than our wisdom.” So said Corrie ten Boom.

So I am going to try and wait on Him, though it makes no sense to me. Tell me if I’m talking crazy or if I’m procrastinating. One thing is for sure, I’m not in a place where I can receive another 150 rejections. I need to wait a bit and build up my personal resolve before I try anything. 

3 comments:

  1. sorry about your uncle, i will pray. cant wait to hear more about your new novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure your first draft isn't crappy at all. You've just taken another step to perfect your technique. :-)

    I have heard that still small voice and have had to back off of something I really wanted only to find out years later why I had to go a different direction. It's good to sit back and listen. Be still and know He is Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about your uncle.

    I'm sorry your manuscript was rejected. I know how that feels -- I'm going on 20 rejections myself, but a few are reading the whole book, so there's still hope! If you feel it's time to wait... wait. =)

    ReplyDelete